BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My dash is showing the steering wheel lock symbols and the…

Customer Question
HI Eric, My dash...

HI Eric, My dash is showing the steering wheel lock symbols and the wheel is locked.I have a push start car. I've tried everything but nothing works. can you help me pls

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?

I have tried steering left and right, Is there a different method when i have a push button ignition?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2007 325xi

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 325xi yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried pushing the key, pressing on the brake pedal and turning the steering wheel

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/11/2019
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 3 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome
Sorry to hear of the issue you are havingI am going to be 100% honest with you, The news isn’t good.
I'm afraid I have bad news. 99% the car will need to be towed to BMW.
Unfortunately this is a very common problem on this model. The electronic steering lock is very common to fail and cause this. You can try wiggling the wheel and rocking the car back and forth, a second key, a jump start, check fuses, lock unlock the car a few times using the blade key, and unhooking the battery for an hour. You have already tried a few of these I see....
Truthfully, none of these is likely to work. I'm afraid that almost certainly the car will need to be towed to bmw, as this is usually the only way to resolve this issue.
Bmw will normally have to update the software or replace the steering column to fix the issue. BMW actually got rid of the steering lock on later model 3 series' because they failed so commonly and were such a problem.
If you do a google search for e90 steering lock or e90 elv, you will find all kinds of people with the same issue.
I am sorry I can't have better news, but I do trust that my honesty and quick response on a Friday evening is appreciated. Again this is very common