BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I working on my sister's 2010 BMW 528i (VIN

I working on my sister's...
I working on my sister's 2010 BMW 528i (VIN WBANU5C51AC364374). The sound system hasn't been working in her car for about 1 year. The radio, navigation system and CD all work, but no sound comes from the speakers. Even the chimes, audible warnings and Bluetooth phone don't work. She said the problem happened after using the USB port to plug in her phone, which she used regularly. I'm not sure if that was just a coincidence. I'm not sure where to start with the diagnosis.
8/9/2018
Daniel Koenig
Daniel Koenig, BMW Diagnostician

Hi I'm Daniel and assisting you today on your enquiry.

I had this issue/problem before.

Most probably the ULF/combox module is the problem. To check you can do the following:

Unplug the MOST connection (fibrewire) on the ULF/combox and "bridge" it with a MOST loop. As all the modules are connected in a "ring" (radio, amplifier, cd changer etc.) It is necessary to "close" the ring with a loop.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0idd25qrig50uz7/AADlr3HCabzrVd5EJkIdYpLZa?dl=0

I attached further information:

Location of the ULF/Combox, please note, there are 2 possibilities according to your VIN where the module can be

Also part number for a MOST bridge. You can buy this at any BMW dealer nearby.

I hope this helps

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your reply. I cannot open the link you sent.

Please try again, works from my side, what browser are you using?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm using IE and I also tried with Firefox. it could be that it's being blocked by IT, since I'm at work and using the company internet

Yes its possible that this is blocking it, please try with your personal device, otherwise let me know

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I can view it on my phone. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the bridge will determine if the module is bad. That will have to be replaced, I suppose?

Yes exactly, If you would not need the USB function etc. you could also leave it "bridget" without any issues

Daniel Koenig
Daniel Koenig, BMW Diagnostician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thanks a lot Daniel. I'll get the bridge from BMW and try it.