Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician with L1 advanced engine performance, VW Certified, former US Army mechanic
13195203

2007 m6 issue with low power mode. I tried couldnt take off

Customer Question

2007 m6 issue with low power mode
JA: Are you fixing your M6 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i tried couldnt take off the engine cover because im new and dont want to get lost lol
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 60k SMG gear box
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes the code that popped up was 'P1628"
Category: BMW
Expert:  Danny replied 5 months ago.
P1628 means that your throttle actuator is faulty. I'm attaching a video that I made that shows how to clean throttle bodies to attempt to repair them. I am well aware that your vehicle has a different style of throttle actuator that doesn't look exactly however the way that it functions is still the same and the process detailed in the video I'm going to attach for you that I made is the same.They've gone to Great Lengths to make it next to impossible to open some of these up, it can still be done on some of them, but on some they've actually made it so if you cut the housing apart then you can't get it back together because some of the pieces are actually glued to the inside of the housing. So if this is your only car and you need to drive it in limp mode you probably don't want to attempt this. If it's your spare just be prepared to have to buy another throttle actuator. Ecstuning.com is a good source.https://youtu.be/YcmA2Yc3JJwI've also located a used set of throttle bodies with the throttle actuator and I'm linking to them here.https://www.benzeenautoparts.com/used-parts/2007-bmw-m6-throttle-body/313944?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_keyword=Used%202007%20Bmw%20M6%20Throttle%20Body%20-%2013547834834Car-part.com would be another good source.So what you would want to do if you want to try to fix it is try to drill out the rivets or cut the plastic cover off so that you can use Electronics cleaner to try to clean the assembly.If I've answered your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because we are not paid an hourly wage or in any other way compensated unless you hit accept, you can return and ask follow-up questions if you need more assistance after accepting.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i ordered a brand new actuator :) i rather a new one and installing that should be easy ?
Expert:  Danny replied 5 months ago.
Its pretty straight forward, except that you may need to run a throttle adaptation which only professional quality scan tools generally have the capability to do. It's your money, but generally they're just dirty and cleaning it gives you a chance to verify the cause by altering the way the fault manifests itself. It's not a wear issue its that the position sensor becomes dirty and reports the wrong position, so cleaning is a perfectly acceptable way to repair the concern, and very rarely did I ever have another issue with one that I cleaned.Please remember to hit accept next to my name and if you need assistance once the part comes in you can return and ask further questions and I can help you through it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
https://www.benzeenautoparts.com/used-parts/2007-bmw-m6-throttle-body/313944?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_keyword=Used%202007%20Bmw%20M6%20Throttle%20Body%20-%2013547834834you said this is what i need ?! i ordered something like that called "throttle body actuator bank 1" for about 614 bucks plus shipping and i heard these are the things that go outthey seem to be very different
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my code came up at p1628 and its for the throttle body actuator bank1 online sources say......
seemed likes you sent the who throttle body itself...... im confused on the two...?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HELLO ????!!!