BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I'm being told it needs to have the crank case vent valve…

Customer Question
I'm being told it...

I'm being told it needs to have the crank case vent valve replaced, and am trying to determine if this is a project to try ourselves, or have a bmw mechanic do the work.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?

1998 740i with 238k miles. it is currently running very rough, lurching a bit, and billowing white/grey smoke

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 740i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not gotten into it myself, but had a mechanic take a look. he is saying it is a $900 job ($235 parts + labor), which seems contradictory to what I have read.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

He is saying the manifold must be removed to do the replacement properly, but that is not consistent with what I am reading.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: BMW
3/30/2018
BMW Mechanic: internal88, BMW Mechanic replied 3 months ago
internal88
internal88, BMW Mechanic

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am Brandon - BMW tech.

This is a 3.6 hours job on the book and the replacement part is $32.

No, you don't need to remove the manifold to replace it.

$900 is way too much for this job. I would shop around for a better price.

This job should be around $400-450.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please rate me positive, Thank you!

is there anything you would warn me about before trying this job myself? (i.e. tricky access to work area, special tools required, etc.?)

This is a straightforward job that does not require fancy tools. All you need is the basic metric mechanic tools and long nose plier. Get some liquid wrench to help you loosen up the hose. You should have this job done in an hour.

Also get yourself a set of torx set bit. Remeber to change the gasket.