BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2008 BMW X5 ALTERNATOR KEEPS BURNING UP

Customer Question
......
2008 BMW X5 ALTERNATOR KEEPS BURNING UP ...
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: BMW
3/30/2018
BMW Mechanic: BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner replied 3 months ago
BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner

I'm hoping you can provide a bit more detail please:

1) How many times have you replaced the alternator?

2) What brand have you used?

3) What are the symptoms?

4) What is the battery condition? (load test if possible)

5) What is the charging voltage with engine running?

this is our second one. we used a lucas remanufactured alternator. this inside burns up and goes up in smoke. battery condition is good. charging voltage was at 14.4 before failure.
signal to alternator has a squarewave signal pattern to it and the positive cable is good and has good voltage drop.

Great information back, thank you! I often get these questions and the customer doesn't have the equipment or knowledge to respond accurately. I'm assuming when you say good voltage drop between alternator + and battery +, it's less than 0.1v?

So with that said, considering that the voltage readings look perfect, I'd be very suspect of the alternator remanufacturer. I know this sounds like a cop-out answer, but the only alternators I've had luck with on these N62 engines are the new OEM Valeos. There are 2 different part numbers depending if the vehicle has 4 zone climate control or not.

1) 4-zone climate control (220A) - Valeo part number 439602 - Can be found for under $500 online

2) No 4-zone (180A) - Valeo part number 439601 - Can be found for under $400

Please let me know if I can offer further information