BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My 2001 BMW will not start. We put a new alternator on and…

Customer Question
My 2001 BMW will not...
My 2001 BMW will not start. We put a new alternator on and we put it back together then when we try to start it it locks us out. We can hear the fluids running. We try to turn the online on but it kicks it back to accessories position and we have to turn it completely off.
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2018
BMW Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 26 days ago
Shawn Few

In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

what is the car vin # 2001 bmw what model ?

if it will not start why would alternator be the issue ,how did you come up with this troubleshoot ?

does the vehicle Cranks over But want start OR ENGINE DOES NOT CRANK OVER ?

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
VIN is WBAFB33511LH12109.
It is a 2001 BMW X5 4.4i.We where driving and all of a sudden it would not go over 20 MPH.We looked up issues for what we were experexing. We got it home and it automatically just died. We replaced the alternator. And we went to start it last night and you take the key all the way to start the engine and you can hear the fluids moving in the engine but the anti-theft turns the key back to the on position and will not let the engine start at all.We have been fixing things ourself but we are stumped here and don't know what to do.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Do not want to call please continue emails
BMW Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 26 days ago

If anti theft is on You will need a Capable Factory scanner or equivalent to Read the Fault codes in the Anti theft Module

needed here ,that is done by hooking up the scanner to your vehicle DLC data port connector and based on these faults we can pull up a Pin Point Troubleshoot and be Accurate ,If you do get the Faults Read ,Please post them back here for me and I can Help You Further on it and send you the pin point troubleshoot to perform or the most possible causes for it .

​you have door,hood,trunk, locks,ews module ,key , key rf signal coil rimg (common) to many parts involved to guess at it

no call necessary here ,will cost more money and not needed

We can check the 3 fuses ,for system, CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW IMMBOLIZER WIRING CIRCUIT I HAVE HIGH;ITED FUSES IN YELLOW FOR YOU

YOU CAN ALSE TRY MASTER RESET IN CASE IT WAS A GLITCH

Master Reset

1-Disconnect Both Battery Cables ,Positive & Negative .

2- Touch Cables With Each Other For 60 Secs ( this will take any residual power in the Harness to Reset the Vehicle Modules )

3- Wait 30 min

4- Close all doors and trunk

5- Reconnect Battery Positive First

6- Use The Key in The Driver Side Door

Lock Cylinder to Lock it & Unlock,IF You have only a Key Fob ,use it to lock and unlock

7- Enter vehicle and Start it .

​IF THAT DOES NOT WORKED HAVE IT SCANNED SO YOU ARE NOT GUSSING AND THROWING PARTS AT IT

a low or wear 12 volt car battery will trigger anti theft

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
We are going now to check out what you sent. Will get back to you.
BMW Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 26 days ago

OK SOUNDS GOOD ,LET ME KNOW

READ BELOW HOW TO GET BACK IN TOUCH WITH ME

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You? SHAWN FEW ?ASE Certified Technician

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Where are the fuses located
BMW Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 25 days ago

in the fuse box , one under hood and one behind glove box

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
We tried the master reset and the used the code reader and got nothing.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
We have a Bosch scanner and it didn't bring up any codes.
BMW Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 25 days ago

it has to be bmw specific , what model, the one that can read ews all bmw modules, will be in the $1500 range ,how much was yours, when you try to scan what modules does it list EWS, Anti theft etc ?

Shawn Few
Shawn Few
Shawn Few