BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2001 Z3 with 99,000 miles, power door lock interface-not…

Customer Question
2001 Z3 with 99,000...

2001 Z3 with 99,000 miles, power door lock interface-not "remote". Pass door won't open. It's not the lubrication/adjustment issue...fixed that one! Nothing I can do with the key, either side, or through door handles will allow opening. Plunger has spring load up after key-unlocking, and spring load down after key locking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

Key is fine. Problem is can't open door to allow investigating and fixing problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Z3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, of course. Who can afford the dealership? I've tried nothing...I can't get the door open! Well, I did try disconnecting the battery, to no avail. I thought there might be an energized solenoid causing the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thanks.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: BMW
3/29/2018
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
If you're saying that when you lock/unlock the door the rod that shows if it's locked or not is properly moving then the mechanism in the door is faulty and unfortunately for you there's no real easy answer to getting it open.This is a very rare occurrence and requires you to get the door panel off while the doors closed in order to investigate and that's pretty much impossible without destroying the door panel. So more or less you end up having to ruin the door panel and buy another one so that you can then get in through the metal panel that holds the window regulator, which you also may have to cut open if the dash obscures the bolts. If you know what you're doing you can cut away at the window regulator panel in a manner that wouldn't ruin it however.Once you can physically get to the latch you may be able to manually disengage it, but there's also a possibility you'd have to cut the latch out of the door as well.This may or may not be something that you really want to attempt doing, you could end up damaging the door or something, a professional technician is going to have a wide assortment of air powered chisels and cutting tools to sneak into the door.The last time I had to do this on the back door of a Passat took me like 3 or 4 hours to get into the door and get it released.
If I've answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name as that's the only way I get paid.If you need further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.
Danny, Got internet "tip" to gently pound outside of door under handle. It worked! Now have door panel off, and proceeding to remove window to expose latch and actuator. Not sure now if lubrication, or actuator replacement, is answer long-term. I will let you know for your future knowledge. Larry