BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

What electronics are located on the passenger side of the…

Customer Question
What electronics are located...

What electronics are located on the passenger side of the 2014 Mini Cooper roadster?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

No dealer has it. They did not seal a warrenty covered convertible roof problem. This resulted in water accumulating under the passenger seat and that side of the car. They first wanted to total it. I talked them into repairing it. I want to make sure they have replaced all of the affected, and potentially affected, electronics, I want to know what they are so I can discuss what they did/are doing

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: BMW
3/30/2018
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
The only electrical components over there really is the passenger occupancy detection system, or PODS unit. The Pods unit is a pressure sensor in the passenger seat cushion that detects how heavy the occupant or objects in the passenger seat are to determine whether or not the airbag needs to employ in an accident or not and if so at what speed based on weight.Also depending on how high the water went the seatbelts are pyrotechnic tensioning and that assembly is on the b-pillar below where the belt comes over your shoulder.They're not just going to replace any potentially affected electronics. Any electronics that didn't have water ingress don't need to be replaced. In reality just make sure that it's well-documented in the repair order what happened, and what they replaced and found.As long as you do that then down the line if any corrosion or control modules are found with water damage it would be very easy to come back on them and hold them liable.If they're having their insurance company take care of it then that will be even easier. In reality if I was you I would have filed a claim with your insurance company and had them take care of dealing with the dealership to have the damage fixed because you would have had a lifetime warranty on any of the repairs and they would have went after the dealership to have them compensate them if necessary.If you are just going through the dealership and they are taking care of it, I would check with them and see if their insurance company is dealing with the repair or if they're just eating the cost and replacing it themselves.In all honesty water leaks on vehicles is not an uncommon thing I really don't think you have to worry about them fixing it properly if you get it back and everything functions you're probably going to be fine. If they ever try to claim down the line that something that occurs later wasn't related, it'll be very easy to get another mini or BMW specialist to look at the vehicle and determine whether or not that was something that was caused by the initial leak based on if there's water damage and not a new leak.If I've answered your questions your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name as that is the only way I get paid.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-up questions even after accepting.