BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2002 mini s my clutch switch will not engage the starter…

Customer Question
2002 mini cooper s...

2002 mini cooper s my clutch switch will not engage the starter unless I hold the pedal half way up from the floor,but the pedal adjustment releases and drives fine?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

None,also the cruise control will not engage I replaced the clutch switch with a new part and it would not start at all in any position with the new switch I was told it must be programmed?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I am a 25 year master tech, never run across this before, clutch/ cruise safety switch has been replaced but would not function,had to reinstall the old one to start the vehicle

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: BMW
3/29/2018
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Okay so if you measure the resistance of the clutch switch what readings do you get from pedal fully released as you push the switch to the floor? Does it start closed-circuit and then open circuit and then closed circuit again? Or is it star open circuit and then closed circuit and then open again? What is the resistance doing?
I have installed a New factory switch and the car will not start at all reinstalled the original switch star to ok except you have to lift the pedal up half way. I put a magnet on the new switch and the car starts. Everything works fine except for the pedal position on start up.
Okay well basically the magnet that works the hall effect switch is internal to the clutch master so if what you're saying is true then basically somehow the magnet is shifted internally...What I would do is buy another clutch master from Worldpac or IMC, another OEM one, fit the original switch to that, plug it in electrically, and then depress the plunger by hand fully and see if the vehicle starts when you do.Basically since the way that sensor works is it's just snapped out of the clutch master, and when you depress the clutch there's no magnet or anything that goes past that, it's internal to the clutch master, and you have to replace the clutch master to fix the issue.This is actually a pretty common problem a lot of people are just carrying around magnets in their glove box so that when it happens they put it on there.I thought for a minute this was a customer car because your Master Tech, so I didn't recommend it before because obviously this is something you would never recommend doing new customer vehicle do the liability issues, but what a lot of people are doing is just carrying around a magnet and putting it on the switch if needed or putting it on with epoxy....Being that your a tech and you can just swap the clutch master yourself, I'd probably still recommend you fix it the correct way because if your wife or girlfriend or kid or yourself forgets to push the clutch in and it's in gear and you running into something and the insurance figures out you did that
you might find yourself getting your claim denied. And that's if you don't accidentally kill somebody or seriously harm them in the process, you feel horrible about doing it to save 50 bucks on clutch master.Please remember to hit accept next to my name because that's the only way that I get paid for my time.If you need any further assistance please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-ups even after accepting.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician