BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My previous session crashed out. I was asking about

Hello again, my previous...

Hello again, my previous session crashed out. I was asking about 'Pedestrian Warning System' light coming on the dashboard screen. I took it to a garage where the mechanic reset the message and said it should go away but has come on again after a few days. Could you tell me what I need to do to rectify this please?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

BMW520d SE 2014(64 plate)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am probably not up to that - So far the garage reset the fault and said that the warning probably wouldn't come on again. But unfortunately it has.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Do I need to replace anything and how much is it likely to cost?

3/28/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

You have a camera in the rearview mirror and depending on how your model is set up you will have front collision sensors.If one of these sensors or the camera has an issue or if you have any debris in the way of these sensors or the camera this can cause this fault here.

I would first check and see if any debris is in the way of the camera or sensors.If anything is blocking these then clean off the area and re check the operation.

If this is not the issue here then what has to be done is to have the fault codes read out with a compatible scan tool/computer plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers in your vehicle for any codes set.Once this is done any codes set will then help you to diagnose and locate the fault here.This has to be done again and instead of the dealer or shop just clearing/resetting the warning they need to actually diagnose the code that is set to locate which of the sensors or camera is at fault needing replaced.

The cost will vary depending on which sensor is at fault.If it is a front bumper sensor this can run around $250 to have replaced.If it is the camera in the mirror you may be looking at around $400 to have replaced.

If the shop or facility you take it to just wants to reset the fault you may have to locate a shop that has more experience in your model to have them read out the fault codes as well as diagnose the actual fault and then repair it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Thank you for your comments which were very prompt. However It looks like I need to take the car to an expert in the UK. Thanks for warning me of the likely costs - seems like a dumb idea - that each time an animal or such runs in front of your car you have to pay hundreds of dollars to fix it even though their is no material damage to the car. Safety precautions gone bonkers!
Please give this a 5 star rating as the expert put himself to answer my query - but it is not practical to resolve this without seeing the vehicle and being over a couple of thousand miles away. At least I have learnt a bit about the problem and how much it is likely to cost.

You're welcome

You can rate the 5 stars here or above as there should be something to click on to leave the rating.If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks, Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician