BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I removed the front driveshaft on my 2003 x5. And now the…

Customer Question
I removed the front driveshaft...
I removed the front driveshaft on my 2003 x5. And now the vehicle will not go into park.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: BMW
I thought the spline was worn on driveshaft but turns out driveshaft is fine. It's the worn chain in transfer case
3/28/2018
BMW Mechanic: JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech replied 3 months ago
JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech

Just logged in, do you still need assistance? Can you provide the last 7 digits of the VIN?

Thanks, JP

LV83685

Perfect,

What is it that you would like help with?

I removed front drive shaft 2003 x5. Can I drive without front drive shaft

Are you looking to drive this permanently with no driveshaft or temporary to get it to a repair shop?

Temporarily
Or permanent

Unfortunately due to the chain drive setup in the transfer case in your vehicle, the vehicle will not move. It needs to be able to put power to the front driveshaft to turn the rear output shaft of the transfer case. If it were a newer style xDrive system, the motor could be unplugged and the vehicle driven rear wheel drive. You will need to have the vehicle towed to your local repair shop unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

Please be sure to leave a positive rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for my work and time.

Thanks, JP

Make sure you use the rating system, as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks, JP