BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

The car has absolutely no power after parking in the garage…

The car has absolutely...

The car has absolutely no power after parking in the garage and the rear brake lights won't stop flashing

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2013 BMW 520

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 525 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have no idea. I have done nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No..that's it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

can you clarify what you mean by no power? if it has no power, how can the brake lights flash? power is needed to illuminate the brake lights...

What do you suggest?

can you answer my question above?

I can't talk on the phone right now

I asked you to clarify what you mean: "can you clarify what you mean by no power? if it has no power, how can the brake lights flash? power is needed to illuminate the brake lights..."

No electrical is working on the car with the exception of the flashing brake lights

there are only a few things I can easily recommend to check at home in this case:

test battery to ensure it hasn't gone flat or gone bad
check battery cables and connections
unhook battery for an hour to reboot the full electrical system

if nothing is revealed, you likely have melting at the fuse box, a crash control system which thinks its been deployed, a bad battery cable or other failure of the car's power distribution system

if you need a good non dealer option to cut down on costs, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Thanks. I rate your service as a 5 star. How will I be able to get it towed if I can't put it into neutral because there is no power to move gear shift
You will need to have the tow company maneuver the car with dollies or jack it up to access the manual over ride that is located on the transmission itself. Please don’t forget to click on a five star rating - thanks
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert