BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I just got the 279D code this morning during a 3rd gear pull…

Customer Question
I just got the...

I just got the 279D code this morning during a 3rd gear pull to redline and was reading a thread addressing this very thing. Thank you for putting together such a useful BMW site. I do ALL my car work on my own and love my S65 M 3 to death.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

00279D Power Management Battery Quiescent Current Injury

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Th!nk?

I tried to reset it when it first popped up a few days ago and it did go away. Car ran like an animal for a week and just now popped back up this morning.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Th!nk yourself? What have you tried so far?

2011

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I believe he has already answered this question saying the fan is not working properly although the car is running very cool. I just flushed the collant system a week ago and used an air evacuation tool to ensure no trapped air pockets.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 day by:
3/29/2018
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Yeah this phone is pretty cut and dry it means that the electric cooling fan has failed, there's not really any other possibility for it, it's a very specific code, and if it wasn't plugged in, or anything like that, it would be a totally different fault code.Depending on the schedule you have you might be able to actually try to actuate the fan using the scan tool if you'd like, but you're pretty safe in just replacing it.If I've answered your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because that's the only way that we get paid. if you need further assistance, don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-up questions even after accepting. Use only an OEM brand fan, try ECStuning for a good priced one if you're in the US.