BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My radio started blinking on and off and the needles jump…

My radio started blinking...

My radio started blinking on and off and the needles jump once in a while in my 09 Cooper Clubman

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cooper Clubman yourself? What have you tried so far?

Runs fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello. What has been checked so far?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Nothing really. I looked into fuses and checked the web. Ran the self check in the tach. Nothing. Once in awhile the yellow brake light will come on but my pads are fine.
I've got some mechanical knowledge and worked on cars for years. But nothing like this.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Everything else is working. Runs fine. Just get the jumping in the needles once in a while but the radio thing is consistent.
Symptoms suggest a voltage problem. I would check for a loose battery cable, bad alternator or battery. I would also consider that it might be two separate issues - faulty radio and cluster and/or loose connections. If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Only thing I can think of is the battery appears to be the original. But again, no problems starting.
Symptoms suggest a voltage problem. I would check for a loose battery cable, bad alternator or battery. I would also consider that it might be two separate issues - faulty radio and cluster and/or loose connections. If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you..
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok. So before I go and purchase this $160 battery is there anything else you think it might be? Ever seen or heard of it before? And how do I check the sheets from Mini Cooper for existing issues?
I have suggested what I reasonably think the issue is.
You can call Mini to find out about recalls, they don’t otherwise publish service info
If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert