BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2006 BMW 525XI. Getting a false seat belt error code

....
2006 BMW 525XI. Getting a false seat belt error code .
3/25/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

What is the fault code and what diagnostics has been performed to determine that it is a false code?

Car belongs to my neighbor. There are no OBD codes coming up, but his seatbelt light is on? Apparently he ordered some part from Lithuania (?) that I believe you plug in somewhere and was supposed to fix the problem (?) but the light remains on? Thought I'd throw the question out there and see if this problem is familiar with BMW techs?

HI,

Every case of the seatbelt light staying on there has been a stored fault code that I retrieved using a BMW scan tool.

I need to ask if you or your neighbor is using an advanced scan tool or simple code reader as 90% of simple code readers will not retrieve SRS fault codes in BMWs or other German vehicles.

If an advanced scan tool that is capable of reading SRS codes in a BMW was used and no codes, then there is a wiring fault between the SRS control module and seatbelt light and will need to be traced

I don't believe he's using an advanced scan tool that is capable of reading SRS codes. Prob. not much we can do without it?

HI,

Unfortunately not. You need to tell him to have it scanned for fault codes at a shop and then go from there. The most common SRS failure on this vehicle is the passenger seat occupancy sensor mat, but definitely need to have it scanned before replacing any parts. If it turns out to be the passenger seat occupancy sensor mat, there is a recall out for it, so it would be replaced for free at a BMW dealer

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Thanks for the advice!