BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My bmw won't turn over but it sounds like it wants to, now…

Hi my bmw won't...

Hi my bmw won't turn over but it sounds like it wants to, now it just clicks multiple times when I turn the key to try and start. What does that mean?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

I can turn the steering wheel and the key is fine. The clicking sound is not coming from underhood it's coming from the dash when I try to start it. The battery is good cause the lights are working & AAA said it's not battery?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2001 bmw 530 Older make

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 530 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm not fixing it myself, I got the oil change, however before I got the oil change the dipstick was dry, and went to put in oil.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I found a you tube video that sounds just like the before it stopped and now clicking sounds.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

if it just clicks, it means the battery is weak now. The lights take much less power than the starter.

as for not starting the vehicle is not starting because it is either not getting spark, or not getting fuel.

No spark would most commonly be caused by a bad crank sensor, bad main relay or bad engine control unit. Sometimes it can also be key or anti-theft related.

No fuel would be caused by a blown fuel pump fuse, clog/blockage/bro***** *****ne of some kind, bad fuel pump relay (if fitted), or bad fuel pump. Relay failures are quite rare, however.

Depending on your abilities and equipment/tools, you may or may not be able to diagnose further.

The simplest thing to do (after checking the fuel pump fuse) would be to spray quick start / starter fluid into the intake (carefully) while cranking. If the engine starts on this, then you have spark and the problem lies with fuel delivery and can be further traced from there.

Another check would be for power at the fuel pump, and to see if it is running or not. If power is present and it is not running, it is confirmed as having failed. If the pump is running, pressure may not be correct, so it also needs to be tested.

If I had to give a guess, I would say it is likely a bad fuel pump.

if you need a good non dealer option to cut down on costs, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Thank you for your expert advice I appreciate it.
The car won't turn over, it sounds like it wants to, now it doesn't want to, the clicking when trying to start is coming from the dash not under the hood.

hi, please see my answer above, I have responded to all of this

Will do thank you. This helps me, as a single mom this is helpful. If you know any humble mechanics such as yourself in the orange county area contact my number. Thank you.

you are welcome, please select a positive rating please consider rating me as 5 STAR!!

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert