BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 1996 bmw 525i. I got a flat battery, and replaced…

Ok so i have...

Ok so i have a 1996 bmw 525i

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '96 BMW?

I got a flat battery , and replaced it , during this time i dropped my key and the cover came off , i replaced the battries in the fob , now when i try and start all my dash lights com on as per normal , but the car does not turn over , no clicking as it goes to the start position , no dimming of lights no nothing it is a 525i

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Checked ,,,,,fuses in glove compartment, fuses in trunk ,,,,not sure why i would check the dash bulbs please explain

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked all fuses , tested baterry

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing i can think of ,, does the colour matter haha

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my key unlocks all doors
my battery terminals are good
did obd via trip meter reset on dash cluster ,,,,all checked out ok
have left battery disconected for 24 hrsits like the immobiliser is either faulty or not recognisinf my key ,,, i do not have a spare key
can i bypass the imobiliser ?
3/24/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

1st thing to try is to leave the key in the ignition mode for at least 10 seconds before you turn it to start.

this allows the immobiliser system time to reset

if this doesn't help then check the condition of the small wire onto the starter solenoid

as it has a habit of working loose

if this doesn't help then its possible there's a fault with the immobiliser - although this would normally turn on the security fault light

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer
Matt, Engineer