BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Screen showing 4X4 malfunction Drive with care. Mechanic…

Screen showing 4X4 malfunction...

Screen showing 4X4 malfunction Drive with care

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

Mechanic says nothing appears to be wrong with the 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your BMW?

2008 528xi

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 528xi yourself? What have you tried so far?

No Local mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

New Battery and starter They did a computer check but have found no problems related to the 4X4

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

The Battery was just replaced

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

what kind of checks were made specifically?

what kind of equipment was used?

not sure they had a computer print out and said they could find nothing wrong with the Brakes or the 4x4

okay... how exactly can I help you with this? what question did you have?

Where should I tell them to look for a solution
Are you familiar with this type of screen message on a BMW
nothing????

it takes a moment to type...

did you want an answer still? it takes more than 60sec to type an answer.

yes I am familiar with this warning.

it is a driver warning that there is some issue in the 4x4 / traction control / abs system

the common cause is an issue with the transfer case.

normally, with a proper BMW scan tool (not a basic scanner like most local garages use) a quick scan will point to the issue, and this is the only way to diagnose this system.

I suspect that wherever you took the car does not have the equipment necessary for this diagnostic, a BMW specialist shop would be required.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Thank you
Is this Diagnostic equipment only available at BMW dealers

at dealers or specialist shops that work on only bmw. I have provided links where you can look for such a shop.

Thank you
I gave you a top rating

you are welcome and thanks