BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I hear a clicking sound coming from the fuse boxes a nd the…

I hear a clicking...

I hear a clicking sound coming from the fuse boxes a nd the tail lights come on when the key fob is removed on a 2009 mini cooper r57

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Yes all is well with the connection

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not much I want to check relays and fuse but cannot find any on the mini

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes the lights only stay on when the clicking in the fuse boxes occurs

Actually it's the brake lights that flicker and than stay on until the key fob is inserted again
3/22/2018
BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner

Ok, if you're sure that your battery is in good condition (at least 90% of capacity when load tested), a common problem these Minis suffer is water intrusion into the right side A pillar area. The GM (General module) lives in this area, and controls quite a number of accessories on the car (lighting, alarm, locking, etc.). I'd look here before anywhere else. If the GM needs to be replaced, a dealer will likely have to get involved, because it requires programming.

Please let me know if I can offer any further information.

BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner
Ok but I also noticed that the fuse panel in the car and the engine bay make the clicking sound just by pressing the start stop button without the fob being in the ignition. The degree of the clicking varies and the brake lights don't always come on. It seems that the problem could be with the start/stop button is this at all possible. In the mean time I will check for water intrusion.
Thanks for your help.