BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I don't know if i should change my transmission fluid.

I don't know if...

I don't know if i should change my transmission fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

That's unknown, i bought one used and it has just over 100k miles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

650i xdrive 2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and nothing as of yet

3/21/2018
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** you are not experiencing any transmission problems, I would strongly suggest replacing the transmission fluid and filter at this mileage. It's an expensive service but it's better than a transmission failure. I usually like to do the service at 75,000 miles but you will be ok doing it at 100,000 miles. Draining and refilling is not a good service. You must remove the pan to drain the fluid. The pan is the filter on this car. I'd install a new pan and I would also recommend replacing the valve body seals and sleeves at the same time.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
what type of fluid do i put back in? the owner's manual says nothing about changing the transmission fluid and i can't find a service manual anywhere.

Can you post the last 7 digits of the vin number for me?

DZ02677

Standby

The OEM number is ***** 22 2 289 720. The ZF number is ***** 090 312 01.