BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Second opinion] I have a bmw x3 2013i had an oil change

which I took to midas...
Second opinion] I have a bmw x3 2013i had an oil change which I took to midas they didnt replace the O ring this caused the engine to leak and fail is this possible? as the car leaked oil but the engine light didnt appear .the car showed low oil pressure then a drive train malfuntion and siezed within 5 minthe bmw mechanic did a reportsaid there was 3.5 qt left in the tank the PSI was 60 on each cylindarwhen oil cap found not sealing properly o ring is hard found damaged guides found stretched timing chain found elements of timing chain guides in oil pan oil pan removal needed inspection of engine main and rod bearing needed timing chain repair needed would I need a new engine? is Midas responsible for NOT changing the O ring it would be obvious if it was hard that it wasnt replaced .. ? there were NO leaks before Midas did the oil change or they would have said something
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Sounds more like a timing chain guide failure that has caused the chain to jump, valve timing becomes incorrect, engine shuts down, all the warnings come on etc.

If you knew it had a leak over the past month, why didn't you act earlier?

The oil leak is unrelated to the failure.

Gary

I didnt know I had a leak if I did i would have acted on it i saw the oil the day before and was taking the car in

That is a shame for you.

Unfortunately I would say even with the leak you have, it would still have had sufficient oil for normal operation.

The timing chain and guides has been wearing for some period, and by coincidence has failed after your recent service.

A check of the oil level will show how much it has lost.

Even just on the end of the stick would still be enough to survive.

Gary

there was 3.5 qts in the engine when checked is that enough not to kill the engine damage wise?so maybe its timing and NOT the whole engine?the engine wasnt dry but the timing chain affected how did the engine still have 3.5 qt of oil out of 7 qt?shall I have himn check the bearings before a new engine advice what ro do?would the engin eoil feed line failaure contribute to this
would the O ring NOT being replaced be a contributing factor?
its a coincidence that 1 month after an oil change the engine leaked? i think it may have been to the oil change in part?

Yes, you lost a fair bit of oil, but it would not have caused this failure.

Any o-ring that comes with the filter would get replaced.

All mechanics do this. Your oilcap o-ring may be hard, but it is not the loss.

The sump plug o-ring could have been a leak.

The cylinder head needs to come off to replace necessary bent valves, all the timing chain and guides, tensioner etc needs to be replaced, the sump needs to cleaned of debris etc.

Midas could do the job for you, and they may come to some deal for causing the leak.

Gary

do you think Midas would bear any responsibilty since they did the oil change and may have noticed something during the process??
I know you havent looked at the vehicle but what do you think that the engine is blown?there was no burning of oil or smell

Yes, I would make contact with Midas about the leak.

They did your last service, so they need to be involved.

The engine isn't blown, if it is just the valve timing chain failure.

Cylinder head off etc as I mentioned above.

If the guide debris did starve the engine for oil, the bottom end will be damaged, which means whole engine replacement.

Hard to say which way yours has gone without looking at it.

But two of us techs on here believe your oil leak is not the cause.

I hope Midas looks after you.

Gary

would a diagnostic tell if the oil leak caused an engine failure?>if the engine had 3.5 qts of oil the engine would be starved would it?the mechnaic said there was some guide debris but he wouldnt know for sure until he saw the oil pan and opened up the engine /.i know thats alot of work
the car has 80 k in miles
would be easier to replace the engine vs going thru the work and repair it?i could get an engine with like 24 k miles on it used?
If a mechanic forgets to put a NEW O ring on with an Oil change is that neglect to do his job?

If you can get a good motor with 24k, that would be easier and faster than repairing your motor.

A diagnostic scan wouldn't show what failed at the time.

3.5 qts is still enough to run the engine.

Depends on which o-ring, the oil filter o-ring should always be replaced, no excuse.

Sump plug washer as well.

Gary

24 k vs 80 k engine i would be able to keep the engine longer is my thought if replaced vs fixed?
to look for the damage and replace and repair still may be issues down the road?thats why Midas was negligent they didnt replace the O ring it was an Old O ring and a new filter.to be honest I have heard both side one says the O ring can cause engine leak failure due to not being replaced and others NO..if an O ring is Hard is it brittle and hard to remove?

24k it will still be good, but it may happen down the track.

If they didn't replace the filter o-ring, then somebody needs a reprimand, but I doubt it caused the failure.

Gary

Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician