BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2006 BMW 750 and it is leaking a lot of oil. I

Hello, I have a 2006...
Hello, I have a 2006 BMW 750 Li and it is leaking a lot of oil. I spend almost $900 and got it fixed in Sept last year. Unfortunately it is leaking again. My husband wanted to get rid of the car and said that it is a problematic car. I am reluctant and I am wondering if it is worth fixing. Can you help please? Thank you
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hi there
Can you confirm exactly what kind of help you are seeking?
Did you want to know if this is a problematic car?
I would like to find out what is causing the problem with the car and if it is worth fixing.
My husband accidentally left the key in the ignition 3 weeks ago and killed the battery. A few days ago, I had a friend to come help to jump start the car. Before he did that, I poured 2 bottles of engine oil leak stop and some more oil into the the car. My friend started to jump start the car and it did not take long for the engine to start again but when I looked at the bottom, it was leaking a lot of oil. It looks like the oil is leaking in a row instead of just from one spot. My friend that turned the engine off shortly after that. I managed to get the key out of the ignition.
Sorry, you want to know why the engine is leaking oil?
It’s a poorly designed engine that is prone to a lot of leaks due to gaskets drying out over time. Very common for the timing cover gaskets, valve cover gaskets, oil pan, transmission and alternator seal to leak. This is not a car that is cheap to keep on the road - I recommend against owning them. If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.
what you are saying is it is not worth keeping the car and fixing it as the leaking problem will be back again?
I wouldn’t fix the car. It will start leaking again or develop a worse issue before too long. If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert