BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My friend has an '06 325i. Currently, it is stuck in a

My friend has an '06...
My friend has an '06 325i.
Currently, it is stuck in a Walmart parking lot.
He parked there to shop the other day and when he came out and turned the key to start it, the battery only made a ticking noise as if the battery was dead. He got his wife to come pick him up so that he could get home.
When he went to go pick it up today he found that he could not locate the key. Thankfully, he had left it unlocked. However, without the key, it is stuck in park.
The locksmith wants to charge him a little over $200 to come out and make a key for it.
AAA and all other towing companies are reluctant to tow it, since it's currently parked on private property.
Thankfully, security at Walmart is being very understanding of his situation.
But, he still needs to get it out of there ASAP as a courtesy to Walmart.
Any ideas on how he should proceed?
3/20/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

It does sound like the battery may be the fault here to start with it needing recharged and tested to see if it needs replaced.Usually a local parts store will test it free of charge for him as well as can sell him a battery for his model if he needs to replace it.

There is a manual way to release the shifter.

Pull up the shifter bezel trim it should pull up and off just to the top of the shifter knob

The right side of the shifter has a shift lock under the shifter bezel

Lift up the shift lock tab and then press the shifter button that you normally press to shift out of park and pull the shifter into neutral.He can look online as there are videos as well on how to release the shifter manually.

Once shifted into neutral then it can be put on a flat bed to tow it ( since no steering will be available) to then have it repaired or the battery replaced.

He can also just remove the battery and see if it needs replaced and maybe replace it where the vehicle sits but he still needs his key or a new key ordered from a dealer to start it to then move it himself.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician