BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

After changing the valve cover gasket en my e90 328i 2008 i…

Customer Question
Hi there after changing...

Hi there after changing the valve cover gasket en my e90 328i 2008 i been having many engine codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

29cd 29d1 29cf 29d2 29ce 29do 29cc they are all misfire on cylinders yes first time it a v6 3L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 328i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes my self i did all at one, valve cover gasket, new battery, oil filter gasket housing, vanos, crankshalf sensor and alot more gaskets around engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes for valve cover gasket i had to remove the valvetronic motor, and i read that it need to be relearn, also all new spark plugs

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: BMW
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also did full flush for power steering, no problems with that,
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now when cold star the engine, it shakes like crazy, the whole car vibrates because of it, amp unstable until the car warms up for 10 min, the the car it’s drivable
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I mean RPM not amp
3/20/2018
BMW Mechanic: JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech replied 1 month ago
JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech

Can you provide the last 7 digits of the VIN of the vehicle so I can assist you?

Thanks, JP

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WBAVA33558FV66950

Were these faults present prior to performing all this work? Did you perform the repairs yourself?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No problems before doing all the work my self, just wanted to take care of all the leaks, wish I did, only faults I had was the two O sensors and crankshaft sensor, I replace them, also low voltage after a long cold winter, so new battery now
It's very common to fold the valve cover gasket on installation on this engine. This can cause cylinder misfires, etc. The best way to check is with a smoke machine testing the intake system for leaks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t think that’s the problem, I clean up all agine around, everything looks perfectly sealed, no leaks from top engine, the one left it’s the oil pan gasket, will get fixed later it’s on the bottom of the car

Are the ignition ground nuts for the harness tight? There are (2) 8mm nuts on top of the valve cover.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they are

Do you have a scanner that can view live data, such as vanos adjustment/ cam sensors, etc.?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not sure, I’m using BlueDriver, and recently bought Carly for BMW, haven’t plug that yet

Can you find out?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m gonna plug plug the Carly and register the battery, if it’s the voltage affecting the sistem I wanna scratch of the list, if I have live data I’ll take some screen shots, I’ll get back to u in an hour

Ok. Report back once you have some more info

Roger, BMW Master Tech