BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Fuel gauge not reading correctly after I left car wash. Read…

Customer Question
Fuel gauge not reading...

Fuel gauge not reading correctly after I left car wash. Read 10 miles when it had close to a half tank. Filled up and it took only 11 gallons. It's full but reads just over half a tank

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Same

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 BMW?

2011 535i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 535i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: BMW
3/19/2018
BMW Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 5 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

thx
No money today

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

There is an actual recall for the fuel sending unit in tank ,defect , you take it to dealer they are supposed to fix no charge

Click on link to view Recall information and print it out or when take to dealer they will run the vin# ***** perform the recall if not done ,does not matter if u first owner or not

or read below

2011 BMW 535i Sedan (F10)

L6-3.0L Turbo (N55)

Recall 10V331000: Fuel Gauge Sender Defect

• Vehicle
  • Powertrain Management
  • Fuel Delivery and Air Induction
  • Technical Service Bulletins
  • Recalls and Campaigns
  • Recall 10V331000: Fuel Gauge Sender Defect

VEHICLE MAKE/MODEL: MODEL YEAR(S):

BMW/5-Series 2010-2011

BMW/5-Series Gran Turismo 2010-2011

MANUFACTURER: BMW of North America, LLC

MFR'S REPORT DATE: July 21, 2010

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID NUMBER: 10V331000

NHTSA ACTION NUMBER: N/A

COMPONENT: Fuel System, Other: Storage: Fuel Gauge System

POTENTIAL NUMBER OF UNITS AFFECTED: 6080

SUMMARY:
BMW is recalling certain 2010 and 2011 5-Series and 5-Series Gran Turismo passenger vehicles manufactured from January 12 through July 1, 2010. The vehicle's fuel level sensor within the fuel tank can become wedged against the tank.

CONSEQUENCE:
If this occurs, the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster would display a larger amount of fuel than was actually in the tank. As a result, if the tank became empty, the vehicle could stall increasing the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
BMW has not yet provided the agency with a remedy plan and notification schedule. Owners may contact BMW at 1-***-***-****.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.