BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I had my car fixed by and independent shop. He didn. Have…

I had my car...

I had my car fixed by and independent shop. He didn

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

Have the tool to reset the display. Is there a jumper on the obi connector that I can jumper to clear the error, 2004 X5, E53

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

With 4.4, 174000 miles. I have a standard OBID scan tool

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had the car fixed but my mechanic could not clear the code. I must be custom for BMW?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No the car runs fine but want to clear the code

3/19/2018
JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech

Can you provide the last 7 digits of the VIN of the vehicle so I can assist you?

Thanks, JP

LV04244

Which light are you trying to reset? Is it for the oil service counter, or the check engine light?

It is a message that says stability control inactive

What is it that he fixed? There is no jumper unfortunately in the OBD port for this

He replace front control arms an a sensor or switch and both air shocks in the rear

Since he replaced the rear air shocks, the ride level needs to be calibrated. This is why you still have the stability inactive warning.

To do this, you will need a BMW diagnostic tool, my best recommendation is to call around shops in your area and see if they can perform the calibration for you since your mechanic does not appear to have the correct tool. They shouldn't charge you more than 1 hour to perform the calibration. There is no other way around turning the light off unfortunately.

Hoipe this help.

Please be sure to leave a positive rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for my work and time.

Thanks, JP

JayPutelis