BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a BMW 760li 2004. I think the car is gone Into limp…

Customer Question
Hey pearl. I...

Hey pearl. I have a BMW 760li 2004. I think the car is gone Into limp mode. Limited revs and speed I had a low battery and wen I jump started it o got this error. It drove well until I parked it for the night and after that the car has been on this mode . No machanic here r well experienced to resolve this issue I feel it's a sensor gone bad but parts are pretty expensive to experiment. Any advice ??

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?

I guess the battery is pretty old I had the error for quite sometime don't tell me that must have killed something

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 760li yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have given it to machanics but they r not well experienced at all so it's like a get lucky situation with them. Plus they also said they would have to open up the engine to c the fault which I completely disagreed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I did jump start the car with 24 v instead of 12 v

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: BMW
Along with this my FM ,sensor sound and the car alert sounds are not working. FM option is there but no stations are seen
3/19/2018
BMW Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Thank you Gary. Looking forward to ur reply. I need help desperately

Do you have a BMW dealer nearby?

24 volts has surely blown up a few things, hopefully a main fuse first before other things.

First thing to do is check all the fuseboxes for anything blown including the large main fuses.

Next would be to do a module presence check for any module not communicating, and what codes are set. This is what we need a dealer technician for.

I hope for your sake the 24v has not caused too much damage.

I have never seen this happen myself.

Gary

Do think an extra voltage could affect the engine especially the power ?

The 24v has damaged some electronic somewhere and or fuses.

It has not damaged any mechanical components like the engine.

Does the engine start and run?

Is the alternator light with the engine running?

Gary

It's driving fine just the engine has reduced power error flashing on the dash

Ok, you need to get a scan for codes when you can.

You may be very lucky you haven't had any major damage.

Gary

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary