BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Nothing yet. I test drove 03 m3 today, 96k on her. The

Customer Question
Nothing yet. I test...

Nothing yet. I test drove 03 m3 today, 96k on her. The trans, how does it go into park? The Guy showing me the car said, you have to put it reverse and put the parking brake on but it kept rolling backwards. I drove the car using the stick. Not impressed. Love the car But???

Mechanic's Assistant: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?

That's is being look at.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your M3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Slow down, please. I'm in the process of buying this car. I need help understanding this car and how to properly use the semi automatic tans. can you help me?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, how do I know the transmission is slipping?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: BMW
3/18/2018
BMW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

the E46 M3 of this era doesn't have a true automatic transmission

they came with a standard manual 6-speed Getrag transmission, but optionally came with a SMG drivelogic transmission (also known as the SMG II). This is the standard 6-speed manual Getrag transmission with an electrohydraulically actuated clutch (no clutch pedal)

so your vendor is right there's no Park as such you need the emergency brake to work properly to hold the car so that needs addressing or reflected in the price before your buy

now there's a few things to be aware of with the SMG

- The obvious is clutch replacement. The clutch in the SMG, as with any other manual (automated or not) will wear out. However, this will be the default answer you are given for any single problem that a dealer diagnoses. AC not blowing cold? Must be a bad clutch. Left indicators not flashing? New clutch. This has gone on since the introduction of this car and is a shotgun approach at troubleshooting any problem with the SMG. It runs up the repair bill and although may fix the problem, it is often by accident. Many problems such as rough or slow shifting are solved by performing the very poorly named "SMG Adaptation" process. Well, when replacing the clutch, TIS requires teaching in the new clutch by performing "adaptation". Problem solved with a lot higher price tag

- SMG Pump Motor failure: It's a brushed DC motor in a sealed can. As the brushes wear, the carbon dust build up since it can't escape. This leads to low winding resistance, poor current handling, overheating, excessive brush wear. Oh yeah, and it has brushes so obviously they eventually wear out. $225 or so for parts, 3 hours labour.

- SMG pump relay: Constantly opening and shutting on an inductive load, therefor arcing and pitting the contacts. Pitting leads to high resistance, therefore higher voltage drop on the relay, less voltage available to the motor -> less torque and max pressure can't be reached. $5 part, 20 minutes labor.

- Clutch slave cylinder blowout: The o-ring on the piston seal blows out leaking hydraulic fluid all into the bell housing likely contaminating the clutch disc. In Getrag's infinite wisdom, they switched the fasteners for the slave cylinder to inside the bell housing for the first time ever on the GS7S47BG, so you have to remove the transmission from the car to replace the slave cylinder. $200 part, 4-5 hours labor.

- Clutch Position Sensor (PLCD) Failure: Still haven't nailed down the exact cause yet. Manifests as a red cog error and the very specific error codes 510D, 510E, and 4FA0. The transmission does not have to be removed for this, but does have to be pivoted down for access. $225 part, 2-3 hours labor.

- Of late, I have seen an increasing number of random errors due to the sensor strip wiring on the top of the hydraulic block exhibiting severe insulation degradation. Similarly to the recall issued in the US for the headlight and tail light wiring insulation failures, the sensor strip wiring shows a lot of copper. Caught early, I've seen liquid rubber insulation applied over the existing wiring and remedy the problem. Aside from that, the sensor strip has to be completely rewired which is possible, but you want it done by a competent automotive electrician, something neither BMW or most independents have. The only other options are to replace the upper actuator block with the sensor strip, these run about $250 on eBay. The upper block is not sold individually by BMW, so the entire hydraulic unit is the only option for around $2500.

- SMG accumulator loss of pressure: This is fairly rare, but happens occasionally. The accumulator loses its nitrogen charge and forces the pump motor to run far more often. The SMG module will usually pick up on this and store a code. $225 part, 2 hours labor.

- Galled guide tube / release bearing. The SMG III was introduced with the same metal guide bushing and metal -sleeved throwout bearing as every other BMW manual for years. In 2012, the throwout was redesigned to use a Delrin sleeve to prevent the galling associated with sliding metal on metal contact using grease in the presence of clutch wear dust. I've pulled apart two SMGs now with the revised part after 15-20k miles and it looks like this is a significant improvement as no stiction or wear has been noted. When having a clutch replaced, make sure the guide bushing is the new style.

so in a nutshell the SMG transmission should switch between gears very quickly ( too quickly for some) and there should be no 'slurring' of the shift

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

BMW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt