BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I’ve got a 1998 BMW 540 I my problem is this I had a

Customer Question
I’ve got a 1998...

I’ve got a 1998 BMW 540 I my problem is this I had a so-called mechanic swapping engine out of a 740 same year non-Vanos andm 62 BB engine I am currently experiencing a crank but no start condition I’m getting no ground signal to the fuel pump. If I manually jump the pans two and six I can hear the fuel pump kick on but it seems as if I’m not getting gas I can only smell starting fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

I swap the fuel pump from one from a junkyard

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 540i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am I have tried numerous things I’ve tried new fuel filter I’ve looked at DME relays fuel pump relays checked all fuses it makes me wonder if I’m missing a ground wire somewhere

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don’t believe so thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 2 days by:
3/20/2018
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 4 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

The computer in your vehicle may not be compatible with the engine in your vehicle now as well as the wiring harness for the engine.I have run into this before when a different model engine is installed it will cause an issue like this here and had to swap over the engine harness as well as computer to resolve this fault.If this was already done let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete