BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My daughter has bought a 2006 BMW three series second hand…

My daughter has bought...

My daughter has bought a 2006 BMW three series second hand and the engine management light came on and upon return to the dealer they said the cat was faulty as the code indicated, and replaced it under warranty. Shortly afterwards the engine mamagement ligt came on again, and upon return to thre dealer, they said it was the cat again!! - apparently there was a faulty batch and replaced it again. A short while later - the engine management light came on again and yes, it was the cat code. She went to an independant dealer, who confirmed it. The dealer she bought from are now not responding as the car is out of the three months warranty. Any help or advise would be appreciated. Many Thanks - handyal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

She said it is the engine management warning light

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 BMW?

Sorry - not sure, I will find out

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, she has been told the cat is faulty according to the fault code read at another garage

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, only that It does seem inconceivable that 3 cats have failed in less than 3 months with only local milage on the clock.

3/17/2018
Kevin
Kevin, BMW Mechanic
Hi I’m Kevin the problem you have here is that in most cases the car that’s fitted is of inferior quality rather than an issue within the car . A catalytic conveyor is basically a filter in the exhaust made up of s honeycomb filter coated in chemicals . As the exhaust gases pass over the honeycomb it reacts with the chemicals inside to clean gases . Most aftermarket catalytic converters are made in the same way only the chemicals added are inferior to the dealer version and so they don’t clean gases efficiently and cause the fault code you are seeing . You will need to have a genuine catalytic converter fitted to cure this code
Kevin
Kevin, BMW Mechanic
Hi Kevin, Thankyou for clarfying the situation.