BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

After changing my oil housing filter gasket, my windshield…

Customer Question
After changing my oil housing...
After changing my oil housing filter gasket, my windshield and 4 windows started getting foggy easily. What typically causes these windows to become foggy? Could the mechanic touched somewhere in that area by mistake and caused this? I understand oil filter change itself won’t cause this problem
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: BMW
3/17/2018
BMW Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 4 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** when this happens the ac compressor is failing to turn on. the compressor works when you select heat or ac. when heat is selected it turns on to prevent humidity inside and keep the windshield from fogging up

select heat or ac
- what do you mean when select heat? This happens usually when I don’t have AC turned on, so basically fresh air

are you using inside or outside air?

Not sure what you mean but basically I don’t have any button pressed and put the temperature to 60 (the lowest). And I am missing a cap which blocks hot air from blowing into the inside of the car so my car tend to get hot. But this has been for a year with no problem of fogging till after I changed the oil filter gasket. Maybe they accidentally misplaced or touched somewhere while doing the oil filter work

not sure on this one then. Ill open it up to the others

Ok
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
It's honestly probably just a coincidence, but anytime that you have the windshield defrost on it actually turns the air conditioning on.What do you missing that you're saying blocks the air from blowing the vehicle? Are you talking about the cover for the cabin filter on the passenger side of the vehicle? If you're missing that, that would cause water to get onto the cabin filter and then you will be getting moisture into the vehicle so that would be causing it.There's really nothing that they could touch that will get moisture into the vehicle, the pollen filter cover prevents it.I would check to see if the sunroof drains are clogged by opening the sunroof and running water through the tray at the front corners, also it's common for the plenum area where the battery is to get filled with water and it can run into the car, there's actually some plugs that you removed to prevent this one of them is under the battery and one of them you get at by jacking up the car and using a long stick from the passenger side it's up by the power steering rack.Also make sure there's no water in the trunk down in spare tire well because the tail lights can leak but those are basically the three things that will cause what you're saying.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.If I've answered your questions to your satisfaction please hit accept as that is the only way the site pays me for my time.
Ok let me review but nothing has changed except recently I have been taking more passengers. The hot air condition (I will find out and let you know) has been there for a year.
You can't say nothing has changed, you have no way to verify that statement, things happen. As your driving around one more grain of sand enters your sunroof frame and makes its way down your sunroof drain tube only to get stuck above a bird feather, one more pine needle gets rinsed from your cowl trim and gets stuck under the battery in your plenum drain, further restricting it, one more year of alternating between day and night, freezing Winters and scorching summers, has made your door seals brittle, and now they make more contact with the door, one more automatic car wash has forced the seal out from behind the tail light....Coincidences happen.
Ok so the cowel panel is missing a seal/cap (round shape). That is why hot air gets into the car. But it has been like this for a year. The only thing changed is the oil filter housing gasket replacement and I have been taken more passenger lately. It rained recently, maybe there is water inside. But it rained the past year too.
To change the housing gasket, they are working around the engine taking certain things off, so I don't know if they could have touched anything else.
Hi so today it is raining. Basically it gets foggy easily as well. So any humidity in or outside the car would cause this? What are the other things that could aggravate it: eg the missing cap on the vowel panel causing hot air blowing inside the car?