BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

It shuts off when I come to a stop and the vehicle remains…

Customer Question
It shuts off when...

It shuts off when I come to a stop and the vehicle remains in neutral and all electrical remains on. So basically I have to restart the car again and place it into drive.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2103, 320I

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 320i?

2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 320i yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I just bought it from a used car lot and I had it taken in to do a diagnostic on it but nothing to this effect showed up according to the mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There's a few little things happening like the auto defrost on my left mirror doesn't defrost but my right side does

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
BMW Mechanic: BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner replied 4 months ago
BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner

Actually, it does this by design. A lot of manufactures have this feature now. It's called start-stop. It's supposed to reduce emissions and increase fuel economy. When it shuts off when you come to a stop, all you have to do is release your foot off the brake and apply throttle and it will start up and move off again.

BMW Mechanic: JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech replied 4 months ago
JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech

Can you provide the last 7 digits of the VIN please?

The car has the auto-start stop feature by design as BMWDoc stated, but it is not supposed to go into neutral/ make you restart it again.

What was the outcome of the diagnostic? What shop did this?

Thanks, JP