BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Just changed the head gasket on my 2007 mini and I have a…

Customer Question
Just changed the head...

Just changed the head gasket on my 2007 mini Cooper and I have a code 2891 inlet camshaft to crankshaft correlation . Car starts and idles but makes a loud rattling sounds the noise sounds like it's coming from the valvetronixs cam ? I need help

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

From the valvetronixs cam and ever since I put the head back on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I tried resetting the valvetronixs motor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: BMW
3/15/2018
BMW Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 month ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

retime the engine, you jumped time and did you replace the tensioner?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I put the jig back on and checked the alignment it looks spot on and yes I changed the tensioner and chain

the Valvetronic motor sounds like it may have gone out

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a way to check the motor?

you can do a relearn

Using a 4 mm Allen key, rotate the eccentric shaft actuator motor three turns. The actuator motor is installed at the top of the valve cover. Do not remove or replace the actuator motor.

After rotating the actuator shaft, reassemble the vehicle, switch on the ignition and start the engine. The Valvetronic position learning procedure starts automatically.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried that and it was quiet for about 15 sec then went back to radiling

standby

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dose it make a difference witch direction?

no. Other common faults relate to an electric motor failure. also check the eccentric shaft sensor. If full of oil, replace the sensor. If not, check operation using a MINI scan tool. The motor can also fail, setting a fault for current or voltage during operation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cancel phone call
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do not charge me for ph call

I have no control over charging of anything. did you check the sensor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sensor is ok

sounds like the motor my friend

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think the guy who did the head might have installed the motor wrong

I've seen that before. we just replace them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m going to remove the motor and reinstall it

if it was installed wrong i would have a word with the dude who did the work

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you have the installation info?

standby

is this a clubman convert oR hardtop or hatch and is it an S?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you send me the step by step
It’s a 07 hatch back regular twin cam

Let me see what i can do

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You can do the step by step?

this is all its giving me but i have another place to look

my other manual has nothing either. Ill open this up to the others to chime in.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All I need is the step by step installation of the valvetronic motor.
Thanks for the help
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
It's not the valvetronic that is the issue, the camshafts are not timed to each other properly, so like one camshaft is in the correct position the other one is not.You have to buy special tool kit to lock the camshafts into place at the correct position.This is the correct tool kit that you need to purchase. Without this you cannot time the motor unless you mark the chains or belt before disassembling everything with a paint pen and then you can just put everything back in the correct position that's too late for that now.https://www.amazon.com/TIMING-TOOL-SET-MINI-COOPER/dp/B01LX3VJ3T
If I've answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to accept because that is the only way the site will compensate me for my time.If you have any follow-up questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-ups even after hitting accept.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the jig to set the cams to the crank and there spot on
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve installed new tensioner and chain the car starts and runs but the third cam sounds like a diesel truck
all I can say is that I've never once in all my years seen a German car say that the camshaft and crankshaft are not correctly aligned and have it not be the case.Very often when there's a rattling or something like that it's actually the valves hitting the piston.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All I’m looking for is the step by step to install the valvetronic motor can you help me out?
No I'm going to opt out. You need a factory repair manual, we aren't allowed to post pics from it, and I don't believe it's going to fix your problem because I understand how the system functions. Way this works is it counts the number of teeth on the crankbsensor and counts the number teeth or pulses from the cam sensor, and at top dead center cylinder 1 on both of those sensors there's a larger gap, so it has nothing to do with when the sensors register top dead center in relation to each other time wise it's in relation to the number of pulses each one does so the variable valve timing having the cams phased incorrectly is not going to cause this fault.
BMW Mechanic: ,  replied 1 month ago
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is David Craig around?
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician