BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

It will not crank and it s a standard trans. 2003 mini s.

It will not crank...

It will not crank and it s a standard trans

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2003 mini cooper s

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes replace safety start switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It will only push start

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
What exactly happens when you try to start?
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
nothing
Phone call session started
just got the other key-did not work. your second suggestion was to pull the started and bench test it. I'm sure you know that is one of the hardest parts of the car to remove ( about a 4 hour job). Is there a quicker way to get it out without taking the exhaust manifold off? AND, if not, I'm ok with that but since I can pull start the car- Key on- would that not tell me that the immobilizer is working(your 3rd reason for not starting? Thanks for your response!
No there is no short cut to get it off. If you don’t want to pull it, you will have to have the vehicle scanned with a high end bmw scanner than can check the function of the immobilizer. And no, push starting does not rule that out.