BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2004 BMW X5 4.8 v8. It's running a little rough and…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 BMW...
I have a 2004 BMW X5 4.8 v8. It's running a little rough and I have no brake pedal. It's throwing the following codes.51B0 -message from dynamic stability control (DSC) (brake-light switch/brake pressure implausible4F7A -signal from transfer case faulty5142 -can time out instrument cluster5F42 -electronic transmission control (EGS) -error: gearbox in emergency mode active
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
You have no brake pedal meaning the brakes go to the floor, or you have no brake pedal meaning the pedal is extremely stiff?
To the floor
Ok I would start by removing the brake booster vacuum hose either at the intake manifold or at the booster and blocking the hose off so there's no vacuum leak, it sounds like maybe the master cylinder went dry or failed, and then when the pedal went to the floor it somehow ruined the booster it allowed the booster to suck air, creating a vacuum leak.You have a vacuum leak somewhere.To verify, read the mass airflow sensor real time values at idle, and 2000 RPM while sitting.They should be 3.5 grams per second (about .8 kg/hr) and at 2000 rpm it should be 11 g/s (1.3 kg/HR).Have you searched for brake leaks yet or verified the brake fluid is full?