BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2004 BMW x3 3.0. I have replaced sensors in several…

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 BMW x3 3.0. I have replaced sensors in several locations, i.e. both intake and exhaust etc. i've replaced the battery and the alternator and I think I still have 2 problems. When we replaced the alternator the 4x4 light came on. And when it's cold (say 37 degrees or less) the first time I start, it bogs down. Then generally will crank right up but the service engine light comes on. When that is checked the Bank 1 0304 indicator comes up which is the Intake sensor that a just had replaced. What to do at this point.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

Always take it to buddy at advance auto.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the BMW Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a mechanic that is good but doesn't have the main BMW analyzer. We have done all described above.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What's the cost for the info.?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: BMW
3/13/2018
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
I really need you to give me the actual fault code numbers in memory, I'm not sure what bank 1 0304 means. If you mean P0304 that's a cylinder 4 misfire it has nothing to do with an intake sensor.It's fairly uncommon for sensors to actually fail on German cars, the fact that you went and replaced a bunch of sensors sort of sets off some red flags for me.It's mostly scan tools that suggest to replace sensors for fault codes, especially the ones that they have it automotive parts stores which are obviously designed to sell parts.Most of the time what happens if the vehicle isn't running right and you get fault code stating that the signal coming from a sensor is incorrect but it's because it's actually putting out the correct signal that it's sensing from the engine it's just the incorrect signal because the engine is not running right.Other than the fault code numbers that you have in memory please tell me exactly what sensors you replaced, what brand parts you bought for replacements, and if you can remember or have them written down what fault code numbers you actually originally had.Then I need you to check the real time value of the mass airflow sensor as it's running idle and then hold RPM at 2000 while the vehicle is stationary, and I need that reading as well.For the record don't ever pay attention to the suggested repair a scan tool tells you to do, that description of the fault code that it gives you is the same whether it's scanning a Honda or a Lamborghini is not specific and therefore it is not anywhere close to correct.I await your response about the things I need above, the most important being the mass airflow sensor real-time value at idle at 2000 RPM and the fault codes you have in memory.
In the past when a fault indicator occurs, I take it to Advance Auto they run diagnostics and then have my mechanic replace the sensor suggested. He does have experience with BMW but does not have the test equipment that you are refering to. Again, the car seems to be running good. Right now the occational bog down when I first crank it when it is 37 degree or less and the 4x4 indicater light is what I'm getting. I have a certified BMW shop nearby that can run test. Just don't know who to trust. I will get the info you requested and will go from there. Thanks
It's not that you can't trust the advance Auto guys, but they're Parts guys not mechanics. I have a couple ideas of what's wrong but I need those readings.