BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

While driving my 2013 bmw x3 an oil pressure warning came on…

Customer Question
while driving my 2013 bmw...
while driving my 2013 bmw x3 an oil pressure warning came on then 2 minute later a message said driver train malfunction see service soon i drove about 2 more blocks as I tried to find a gas station and the car died and went into park and I had to have it towed/
I am waiting for diagnostics todaybut what are the odds that this caused an engine damaged or does the car shut down before this is the case?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 1 month ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

the car does not shut off before damage occurs.

so, you will need to wait until the outcome of the diagnostic to know what/if anything happened

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is it typical that a bmw car that is running fairly well that just gives out and causes engine damage without notice?

no, it is not, but it is not impossible. If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
with the driver train malfunction warning then shgutting off how is one to know there is an issue?is this warning an engine issue/?

you can't know until a warning comes on - either the oil pressure or drive train or other warning light.

If something catastrophic happens, the vehicle does not have time to warn you before damage occurs.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
isnt that the purpose of the sensor of the car to get it checked before there are major issues?

the purpose of the sensors is to alert the driver of an issue

ideally before something bad happens

again, if something catastrophic happens, it may not be possible to prevent damage. For example, if the timing chain snaps, the engine is basically destroyed - that happens in a split second, there is no way any warning can prevent this.

please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how would one know if the timing chain is an issue is there any sounds or car issues?

I am not suggesting the timing chain is your issue, it was just an example of a failure there can be no warning of if it fails instantly. sometimes you will get rattling or metal shavings in the oil before a timing chain fails.
in your case, if, say, the oil pump failed, you couldn't have any warning of this from a warning light, the car has no way to know the oil pump has failed until it senses low oil pressure, at which point it is likely already too late. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

please consider rating me as 5 STAR!!

did you have additional questions ?

hi - just following up, did you need additional info?

Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert