BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I just tried to change my spark plugs and i realized that…

i just tried to change...
i just tried to change my spark plugs and i realized that oil is on one of my spark plugs. what is the cause of that?
3/12/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

is the oil on the threads of the plug?

it is but only on one

thanks for confirming.
this is due to a leaking valve cover gasket - at present it is only leaking in that one area but it is likely to spread soon.

common issue - if you have not replaced this gasket yet, you are due.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

would oil on the plug cause the car to turn off while driving. if it got on the coil

no it would not. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert