BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Cut off while driving. E70 x5. 09. Change air filter fuel…

Customer Question
Cut off while driving ...

Cut off while driving

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

E70 x5

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your X5?

09

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Change air filter fuel filter and battery alt went bad and I replaced it

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Yes a year ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: BMW
3/12/2018
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 3 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hi how can I help you with this? Did you want to know possible causes?
Yep I want to know the cause

the most common cause would be a failing cam or crank sensor, or a failed fuel pump
you will need to check for spark, power to the fuel pump and fuel pressure as next steps, then proceed with a fault scan and compression test

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

The vehicle is diesel
Ok. That wasn’t stated. Then The issue is most likely fuel related.
What to check
Power to the fuel pump and fuel pressure as I said.
what should I change
Or replace
You can’t just start changing parts - you need to make proper checks of power and fuel pressure to further diagnose - there isn’t only one thing that can cause this.
Cam and crank also
Fuel pump and what else
The fuel pump is the prime suspect, that is where to start. After that you will need a bmw scanner as it won’t be something you can manually diagnose
It don't happen all the time and it start back one time
It is still likely fuel related
That is where you need to start,
It showing no codes
That would indicate a mechanical fuel pump problem
I will start with fuel and will let you know cam and crank would not cause that
No. Fuel is the suspect. Please do not forget to click on a positive rating. If you would like to follow up you can do so after leaving a rating.
Should I change the electrical one first
Or both

change what?

Is there a electrical fuel pump ?

there is only electrical that could be the issue. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Where is it situated in the vehicle ? The elec fuel pump

in the fuel tank. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Ok

please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Diesel smoke coming in my a/C VENT WHEN park and idling how to stop that

hi there, if you have a new question, it will need to be posted to its own thread, per site policy. as the present question has been answered, please kindly click on a positive rating to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and answer.