BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

New issue: regarding TPM - tire pressure monitor. how can I…

Hi Steve, New issue : regarding...
Hi Steve,
New issue : regarding TPM - tire pressure monitor. how can I disable this prompt? I told this to my bmw service advisor and she told me that I have to get them to diagnose and possibly replace the module, estimated cost is 600-850$.
does this TPM prompt a safety issue, what do you suggest?
tnx
3/11/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

so it is simply warning you that you have low tire pressure? has the underlying problem been diagnosed?

good to be connected to an expert.
can we chat on line?

has the underlying problem been diagnosed

have you tried to rese the warning?

I did try to reset but is not changing

okay, if the tires are properly inflated, and you have tried the reset procedure, and it is not resetting, then that means the system is faulted... has the fault been diagnosed?

not unless I pay up 125$ to diagnose

okay.

what was your question about this then? how can I help ?

where are the sensors located and can i localize the problem by individual tire or something else before going to the so called 'module'

the sensors are inside each wheel, and the antennas are at each wheel well.

there is no way to localize the issue to one sensor without a high end scan tool that can scan the system and read the live data. you would have to swap in a known good sensor repeatedly wheel to wheel to test manually, which would involve removing the wheel and tire each time, which would take forever and cost more than a diagnostic scan.

if you want the warning to go away, you will need to rectify the underlying fault - which could be a bad sensor/sensors, bad antenna, or bad module. And the only reasonable step towards doing this is by investing in a proper scan. I am sorry there is no easier answer but I do trust that my honest, thorough and prompt reply is appreciated.

if you need a good non dealer option to cut down on costs, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
you have been a great help Steve. i have a better appreciation on faults of my car as it gets older.
i sure would rate your expertise a 5*****.
thanks for your time again.
aloha

you are welcome.

please be sure to start all future posts with "for steve only" and I will reply right away