BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Drive train mulfuntion. 2013 bmw x3. It jujst happned I

Drive train mulfuntion Mechanic's...

Drive train mulfuntion

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2013 bmw x3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It jujst happned I havent had it looked at yet i got stalled in traffic and now in alot

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The engine warning light has been on for a bit and i havent had a chance to get it to the dealer then this happned

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

My car stalled on the street the driver train malfuntion light went on and the car died 2 min later

3/11/2018
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Certified Technician

hi my name is ***** ***** i will be helping you today

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank u

this is most likely a problem with the cam or crank sensor on your car but you will need to get the car scan for codes to tell what the problem is for sure

since there is on one reason for the car to stall out getting the code is the best way to get about fixing the problem if you have a auto parts store by you they can get the code for you for free

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the car died and is in a lot
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will the car shut off before any major issues as a precaitioary?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if it is one of those issues is it a large expense?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will the car stall before any major issues as a precautionary mersuare
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
why couldnt i get the car into neutral?

yes if this si just a sensor and i think it is then the engine will die before it cause any damage

it is hard to say what the cost will be not know the exact problem but it is a bmw so the repairs are not cheap be ready to spend at lest $500

if the engine shut off the trans will go to park automatically the car will have to be put in neutral by adjusting the natural tow bolt on the bottom of the trans

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is why i couldnt restart the car?

correct

do you have any more questions ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
usually if this occurs there isnt an engine issues? thats why its precautionaryi did notice a little oil leak this morning
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is that all part of the cam sensor?
the car has 80 k in miles

correct

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the oil was changed 3 weeks ago

the oil leak you will have to have check cant say what that is if i cant see it to many possibilities

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also BMW recommends oil changes at 15k is there a level that your prefer?

10k

please do not do it at 15k you may end up with slog in the engine

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the drive malfuntion light it went on and like a mile later the car shut off is this typical?

yes it is

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i know on 15 k but thats what the manual said i thought it was high
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
wow it said see a service dealer and i didnt think 1 mile lolbut the shutting down is a good thing for larger issues?

it is i would not go that many miles , that is what they put to make the car seem like it is lase costly to maintain

yes do not try to start just take it to the shop

do you have any more questions ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is the most common cause the cam sensor i never heard of it is this maybe the reaso
n the engine has been on for a week or so?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
11 March 2018 02:00so this is the most common cause the cam sensor i never heard of it is this maybe the reaso

yes it most likely is but again you have to get the car scan for codes

Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
engine light
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
great thank u

your welcome .

Clifton B.
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Certified Technician