BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Window control on drivers side not working. 2004 x3. No i'm…

Window control on drivers...

Window control on drivers side not working

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2004 x3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No i'm taking it some where but if it's easy to fix maybe i'll try it

How can I tell if the drivers side switch is bad and needs replaced?
3/11/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Just so that I am clear, does the other windows function properly? Does the driver side switch control the other doors also?

the other windows seem to work the driver side control does operate the other windows and the side view mirrors. But it's not working
no don't need to call me i'll just use the application
todd what do think?

I understand. Also, the phone call is automated by the system. The issue that you are having is going to be the switch. The only way to test the switch is to test the power at the regulator assembly connector while activated the switch. The only other issue that it would be is the regulator, but since the switch is not for any of the other windows, then the most probable cause is the switch. Here I am attaching the electrical information for the circuits along with switch and regulator removal information.

I​ have also attached a TSB, but it does not concern you.

W​hat you can do, is have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes with a scanner capable of accessing the module for the door. This will let you know the area of concern. Also, you can disconnect the window regulator and apply power and ground to the regulator and the window will either go up or down. If the window moves, then you know it's the switch.

how much is a switch and where can i get one?
ok thanks but i'll take it to my guys tomorrow i just wanted to get a feel for how much the switch might be

T​here is no dedicated fuse for the circuits, as the circuits are control by the gem module(BCM). The switch can be purchased from your local auto part store. There, you maybe able to purchase the switch for around $125. Here I am attaching part and labor information for the switch. The labor pricing is listed in hours and is determined by the hourly rate of the shop. The switch can be found at a lower cost at the auto part store.

Here is the information.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician