BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2006 BMW X3 - sitting at stop light, Check Engine Light

2006 BMW X3 -...

2006 BMW X3 - sitting at stop light, Check Engine Light flips on and engine immediately starts running rough. Had been noticing a slight hang when decelerating - engine would hang at higher rpms or even surge just a bit when slowing down. After the check engine light, it seems to be problematic at all levels though at 45-50 mpg (drove it to destination last night. Shut off. Problem still there on restart. Drove home total of maybe 4 miles after CES.) it seems to be less problematic.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Going to go read the codes at the local auto parts place when they open up. Then decide.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** back with the fault codes and their descriptions and I will try to assist you with this.

Cylinder 5 misfire is only code showing
P0305 is the error code

Then I would suggest that you replace cylinder #5 ignition coil. Faulty coils are the #1 cause of misfires.

Boot and plug too?

The coil comes with the boot. No need to replace the spark plug.

Will give it a shot!

Sounds good. You should be fine with a new coil. I'll be here if you need further assistance.

Cool did the trick. Found another problem though.

Glad it worked out. Please remember to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you. The part in the picture is the intake manifold adjuster. The screws for the adjusting unit are part number*********** It's a 6 mm X 18 mm screw.

Awesome. Will definitely give top notch rating. :)

Thank you!

Is it a 1 thread pitch

Correct

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician