BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

On cold engine startup, Over Heat warning immediately pops…

On cold engine startup...

On cold engine startup, Over Heat warning immediately pops up advising to drive moderately, engine too hot. However, this goes away exactly 30 seconds later and car has no drivability problems at all. Recently replaced overflow tank and Coolant Sensor (which was leaking). 2012 BMW x5 5.0

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

We use Prestone 50/50 premix. Hoses would be the age of the car (2012)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Overflow tank replace and coolant sensor replace

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car after long use makes a burbling noise when engine is off. This is not noticably consistent but I hear it at times

3/10/2018
BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner

Ok, so a couple of things jump out at me here:

1) Your truck actually has a 4.4L engine in it, despite being designated a 50i. Yes, it's odd.

2) I strongly recommend flushing out the prestone coolant and refilling with the OE BMW coolant.

3) The failure you're likely dealing with is the intercooler coolant pump. A BMW specific scan tool will likely corroborate this. The intercooler cooling system is completely separate from your main engine cooling system.

If you're able to get a scan done (generic OBDII scanners usually won't show this fault), I'd be happy to take a look at it, but again, you likely have a failing intercooler pump.

BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner
Any idea why it immediately turns off after 30 seconds? I have even tried to deliberatly put heavy load on the engine at various levels to get the warning to come up but it does not.

That part is curious for sure. Very difficult for me to know for sure without seeing a printout of the ECU faults.