BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2007 328xi with excessive oil leak on the passengers side.

2007 328xi with excessive...

2007 328xi with excessive oil leak on the passengers side. Got a recall notice for the PCV, but no fix yet. Pressure when you open the oil filler cap, not vacuum which is more typical I guess. Oil dripping from the the center of the valve cover on the passengers side.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

My mechanic looked at it a couple of years ago, after a BMW dealer said the valve cover was cracked, which is a common failure. He said it was leaking from the oil cap. In hindsight he was probably wrong, but I replaced the cap gasket and it seemed fine for a couple of years.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 328xi yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, with the recall pending and the PCV built into the valve cover I figure BMW should replace the valve cover free. The crack was possibly caused by pressurization due to PCV failure.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Kevin
Kevin, BMW Mechanic

Hi im kevin can i have vin please

WBAVC93577KX57966

Il be a couple on mins just want to pull up info on your vehicle

Ok yes the pcv is part of cover on this model .the recall should replace the entire cover and gasket which should rectify your issue .the pcv valve failing will have raised pressure in system and if there was a weakness in the cover could have contributed to the crack

Thanks Kevin. Do you know if BMW is actively fixing cars now or is the part still pending? The notice in Nov said I would get another letter but nothing yet and the leak is so bad that the oil smell is making the car undriveable. I could perhaps leave the oil cap loose, but that might not be much of an improvement.

This is an pending recall and you should be contacted again shortly .it may be worth contacting dealer and explaining issues and the fact you are part of recall to see if you can speed this up .the problem you have it if the cam cover is replaced it will have to be replaced again when updated parts become avaliable for recall.there is also another recall listed on my system for your vehicle thats pending for the blower motor wiring

Thanks.

No problem please let me know if you need anything else and remember to rate my service

Kevin
Kevin, BMW Mechanic
Phone call session started