BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My 2001 e46 runs ruff and stalls I have changed the spark…

Customer Question
My 2001 e46...

My 2001 e46 runs ruff and stalls I have changed the spark plugs fuel pump and oxygen sensors car run fine for a day then runs ruff and stalls again

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 BMW?

E46 325i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 325i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes new fuel oxygen sensors spark plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

New fuel pump, I was told it could be fuel injectors

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: BMW
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did computer scan and it said oxygen sensors bank one and five pep boys said it could be bad fuel injectors
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
I need the actual fault code numbers that they gave you in the future don't go by their recommendations on their schedule because it's a generic recommendation and it gives you the same recommendation whether you're driving a Honda or a Lamborghini. The fault code numbers all mean something very specific but for some reason they recommend random things that are almost never correct.I hope that they sold you NGK spark plugs and you didn't put Autolites in if they sell your Autolite spark plugs take them out and return them and get NGK.What I really need is for you to give me the mass airflow sensor reading at idle and then while the vehicle is stationary and you hold the RPM at 2000.Each scan tool will report the mass airflow sensor reading in a different manner some will be grams per second son will be kilograms per hour some will be pounds per minute.I'm used to the grams per second which should be about 3.5 to 4.5 grams per second at idle and 10.5 to 11.5 grams per second at 2000 RPM.If the scans will reports it is something different you can type into Google for example .8 lb/min = ? grams/second so that you can compare.You can tell if there's vacuum leaks even because a vacuum leak will have the reading at idle be below 3 grams per second but at 2000 RPM it will read correctly.If the mass airflow sensor is bad then generally it will read correct at idle but it will read low at 2000 RPM sometimes as low as only 8 grams per second.So let's start there and see whether or not you got vacuum leaks or the mass airflow sensor is bad or possibly a combination of both there are some breather valves on the intake manifolds that have a tendency to leak. That would cause the rough idle and stalling.Speaking of when does it run rough is it just at idle is all the time does the check engine light flash?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It run rough when it sits for a while like over night and the it runs fine
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the check engine light is on Bank one bank two oxygen sensors came on the computer scanner but we replaced them and the codes still came up
Let me get the actual fault code numbers that you have in memory the oxygen sensor deal is because you're going off the recommendation that the scan tools giving you for what its dates might be the problem and it doesn't matter if it's a Lamborghini or a Fiat the same recommendation.Once you know exactly what the fault code numbers mean German cars are extremely accurate at diagnosing themselves I don't know what fault code numbers you had but they definitely weren't for the sensors being faulty.Now's the bad news I think, the most common cause of a vehicle running poorly when it first fires up for a few seconds and then starting to run fine is because the head gaskets blown and it's leaking coolant into the cylinder is running poorly because the coolant is kind of extinguishing the spark and once the coolant makes its way out of the cylinder it's fine.If you pull the spark plugs I'm willing to bet that one of them or two of them is extremely clean steam cleaned almost compared to the rest, you can also look down in the cylinder and the Piston top will probably be clean out of you pull the spark plugs out after the vehicle sat for awhile and look down in the cylinder I'm betting you're going to see liquid down in there.There's a thing called a block tester looks like a turkey baster and it has a special liquid in it and you squeeze a bulb on top of it pulls air from the cooling system and it changes colors in the presence of combustion gases you probably need to run one of those on your car.Unfortunately my 2001 BMW X5 do the exact same thing last month and the head gasket is blown.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician