BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

R. Greene. I have a 1994 530-l BMW V-8 5speed manual

Customer Question
Hello, my name is*****...

Hello, my name is***** I have a 1994 530-l BMW V-8 5speed manual transmission m-60 3-0 leader engine. I got fire to the plug on that plugs into the fuel pump plate that bolts on top of the gas tank. I put in two new gas filters, fuel pump system.complet. fuel pump relay switch, Fues, plugs, spark plug egnitions coils. It has gas in the line right to the fuel rail. I can not hear the fuel pump kick in. It cranks, but does not start. She gets to start with starter fuid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

I had a brand new clutch pressure plate and barring.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 530i yourself? What have you tried so far?

The only thing that I have not done. Is replaced the injectors and the fuel rail.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Seance the fuel pump is getting fire! Why is it that I can not hear it gear in and run?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: BMW
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Plus both catalytic converters were stoped up. So I cut them off. I have not replaced them yet.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 3 days by:
3/13/2018
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
First off do NOT replace your fuel injectors, they're aren't bothering problem. With the vehicle ignition key on, check to see if the fuel injectors have the same amount of voltage the battery has to each one of them. The way that the fuel injectors work is that the fuel pump relay supplies power to them as well as all the other sensors in the engine bay, and the engine computer provides the ground to pulse them. If you get an LED test light or computer safe test light and you connect the tail of it to one of the injector wires and the tip to the other wire at the same connector when you crank the engine it should flash. So check that out.If that's good then I would get a fuel pressure tester you can rent one from the auto parts store and hook it up to the fuel system in line with the rail so that you can actually test fuel pressure while trying to start it and while it's running. Let me know what the pressure is after turning the ignition key to on, and then see what type of pressure you maintain while cranking the engine over and let me know these numbers.German cars actually Prime the fuel pump when you open the driver's door, so it's set when you open the driver's door to run the fuel pump about half a second. Then, when the ignition key is turned to the on position the primes the fuel pump Again by running for about a quarter to half second. So the reason you're not hearing the fuel pump run is because it doesn't run constantly with the key on until the engine is started.It should be running all the time when you're cranking engine but you're not going to hear it over the starter and the engine.One thing I didn't see you mention replacing is the fuel pump relay. It's imperative to replace a fuel pump relay anytime you replace a fuel pump.One more thing is let's not use the term fire for battery voltage it's confusing and not a term that any professional mechanic is ever going to use I thought you literally meant fire. The term is voltage or positive battery voltage or such-and-such volts.What do you mean by fuel pump relay switch? Do you mean fuel pump relay? I'm just curious is English your second language is there translation difficulty here or are you just using terms you've heard because I'm confused by some of the words you're using.The fact that your catalytic converters were melted does indicate that you were having air fuel ratio issues and it is common from a faulty fuel pump.What brand of parts did you use? Are you using aftermarket parts are you using original parts?I have definitely seen fuel pump relays be bad right out the box using aftermarket parts. If you used generic parts from the auto parts store there's a very good chance that you originally diagnosed the problem properly but that your parts are just no good you might try warranty in the fuel pump relay and hopefully you didn't use used parts.Please get back to me about the fuel pressure and whether or not your LED safe test light blinks when you crank the motor.The other possibility is that you have a bad crankshaft position sensor and if your crankshaft position sensor is faulty you will get the fuel pump building pressure but you won't get fuel injectors pulsing.Also can you tell me like what started all this did it all happen at once or was running poorly and then it stopped running can you describe what happened leading up to the no-start condition?I would be glad to talk to you over the phone and if Spanish is your first language I have a friend who lives with me who speak Spanish as a first language you may be able to kind of interpret over the phone so that I can get some proper terminology and information.I look forward to hearing from you
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
You just told me how to fix my car. But I'm no license mechanic. And I did buy two used fuel pumps for my car. The cam and crank shaft Denver's are brand new. The gas gets up to the fuel rail. And that's it, it goes no feather. The fuel pump relay is new also. I'm gonna have to change all of the sender's. I hooked the fuel pumps to a battery and they pumped perfect.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician