BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2003 745 TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE LITE COMES ON SECOND

Customer Question
2003 745 TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE...

2003 745 TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE LITE COMES ON SECOND REBUILT TRANSMISSION CHANGED THERMOSTAT FOR TRANSMISSION

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

TRANSMISSION TEMP WARNING LITE COMES ON DISPLAY

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 745 yourself? What have you tried so far?

REBUILT TRANSMISSION REPLACED/HARNESS REPLACED THERMOSTAT REPLACED FLUID LEVELS CHECKED

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
3/9/2018
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Do you have a scan tool so that you can actually read the transmission temperature using the scan tool and not just relying on the gauge? You need to monitor transmission temperature by reading with the Central and watch it from cold all the way to hot to make sure that it increases in a linear fashion and doesn't jump all over the place.If the temperature increases in a linear fashion from cold to hot it doesn't jump all over the place then you need to look at the transmission cooler being faulty or clogged.Also I would make sure that the radiator fans are working see if maybe when you turn the air conditioning on if the temperature will drop because air conditioning should automatically turn on the electric fan, I would also make sure that the mechanical fan that runs off the belts is locked solid once vehicle is up to Temp so run the vehicle get it hot stop the vehicle and then try to move the fan and if the fan isn't locked solid and you can free wheel it when the vehicles up attempt then you need to replace the fan clutch.If I've answered your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name's ***** ***** only way that the site will compensate me for my time. You'll still be able to ask any follow-up questions about this topic even after getting accept.
TRANSMISSION FLUID AND TEMPERATURE ARE OK. THIS IN AN INTERMITTENT PROBLEM THEO ONLY THINGS NOT REPLACED ARE THE TRANSMISSION COOLER AND RADIATOR