BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My drivers door was hit. The body shop replaced the door,

My drivers door was...

My drivers door was hit. The body shop replaced the door, but somehow after they rewired the drivers door my radio no longer works

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?

Came with the car

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2005 bmw x5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it thank you

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

can you describe exactly what is going on with the radio and door?

The body shop replaced the drivers door with another 05 door. The inside of the new door did not match the wiring inside. They took out all the wiring from my door that was damaged and put it into the new door. Then the alarm, the power windows, locks, etc did not work. The radio was working but nothing else. During that time the window fell inside the door. After that the radio no longer worked. Now everything else works, but the radio does not. The computer screen works and so does the bluetooth

what has been checked as it relates to the radio?

does CD work?

The only thing I have tried so far is turning the button on and off. It doesn't respond to either

so it is the actual radio panel in the dash that does not power up?

Well the on board computer lights up and I can move the knob to go to GPS or code etc, but the radio on/off switch does not light up or turn on the radiologist
Radio

okay got it.

did you want to know possible causes? what question can I answer for you about this?

I would like to know possible causes and how to get it to work again, please

the first thing to do would be to check fuses.
if the fuse is good, next is to check for power at the radio.
if no power is present, the wiring needs to be checked.
if power is present and it won't come on, you will need to check the door wiring to ensure there is no issue there that is causing interference.
if everything checks out, and the wiring is good and there is power at the radio, then the radio itself would need to be replaced.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Thank you!

you are welcome please do not forget to click on a positive rating

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert