BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My 2005 BMW X3 has given me no trouble with my radio but…

My 2005 BMW X3...

My 2005 BMW X3 has given me no trouble with my radio but this morning it just stopped working. After turning it on and off a few times I was able to get static noise but I cannot pick up any of my stations. Any help you can provide is appreciated!

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?

It is a factory radio.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well other than just turning the radio off and on I have not tried anything else yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I cannot think of anything else.

3/9/2018
JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech

Can you provide the last 7 digits of the vehicle VIN so I can assist you further?

Thanks, JP

I will get that right to you!
WD21651

What source does not work? i.e. FM? Are you able to hear any sound if you try using a CD? Is the static through all the speakers?

Are you still there?

Yes,

Neither FM or AM work. I do not use CD's so I do not know about that.
The static is coming from all speakers

The first thing you're going to want to check is the amplifier. It's installed in the trunk behind the drivers side carpeted paneling. This is a common cause of sound output issues in your vehicle. It is common for sunroof drains to clog, and cause water damage to the amplifier. The amplifier will need to be taken apart to check the circuit board for water intrusion. Are you able to perform such tasks?

No , I am not skilled enough to perform that work. Is this a very costly repair?

If you bring it to a shop, they should typically charge you one hour diagnosis to scan the vehicle for fault codes, and check the amplifier as I described. An independent BMW shop usually charges between $90-110/ hr, whereas a dealer will charge between $135-$155/hr. So, that is what you would be looking at to start.

Hope this helps, please be sure to leave a positive rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for my work and time.

Thanks, JP

Thanks JP.
I now know what to expect.
It is always better to approach an issue with as much information as possible.

Absolutely.

Please be sure to leave a positive rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for my work and time.

Thanks, JP

JayPutelis